By Ian Butterworth.
As mentioned in a previous article, the idea of a Flash Village Hall was first mooted in 1948 but due to many delays building was not begun until 1955. The building of the Hall was a collaboration between volunteers, local people and two ‘work camps’, one in 1956 and the second in 1957. The workcamp initiative was established by the Quakers after the Second World War to satisfy the need for both reconstruction and reconciliation. One step towards a more peaceful world would be to bring together young persons from different countries to live and work together in order to create bonds and promote understanding.
A binder containing notes and photographs is in the possession of the Village Hall and has been faithfully recreated below.
Last modified: June 3, 2020